Learning to See
I haven’t had any formal training in painting, and I’ve usually been content to use experimentation as my teacher, but lately I’ve been really hungry to learn and challenge myself as an artist. I’ve been reading through Betty Edwards’ book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and I think she is a fantastic teacher. This painting is a result of me putting to use some of the principles I’ve been learning. The main being learning how to see properly/differently. Creating art can definitely be a mental/emotional battle and this piece was definitely a challenge, but also totally exciting. The result I think is a piece that is totally different than my past works. Not just in the colors, but the movement, form & spirit. This piece has now become very significant and special to me. Oh and I painted it upside-down.
A Limited Edition print run will be available in my shop on Tuesday, July 24th starting at 9:00am PST. http://CharmaineOliviaShop.com
1. to afflict with great bodily or mental suffering; pain.
2. to worry or annoy excessively.
3. to throw into commotion; stir up; disturb.
4. a state of great bodily or mental suffering; agony; misery.
5. something that causes great bodily or mental pain or suffering.
6. a source of much trouble, worry, or annoyance.
7. an instrument of torture, as the rack or the thumbscrew.
8. the infliction of torture by means of such an instrument or the torture so inflicted.